Train Service Employee/
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- 2+ years of stable employment experience
- State-Accredited High School Diploma or G.E.D. required
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- The work is outdoors; exposed to all types of weather conditions.
- There is a probationary period.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to walk outdoors on rock ballast for 8-12 hours daily, climb on and off of equipment, lift and carry 80 lb. knuckles
- The position is represented by SMART-TD Union, with initiation and monthly dues required.
- You will be on-call twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week. Includes weekends and holidays. Must be available to report on approximately 2 hours’ notice. (You should consider the long-term effect of the above lifestyle on your personal and/or domestic situation.)
A train service employee is responsible for the safe movement of freight trains and switching of cars in the yards. Specific functions will include frequently climbing ladders to board standing cars, operating hand brakes, coupling air hoses between cars, operating track switches, inspecting cars and using hand and lantern signals, radio communications and remote control technology to control train movement. This is not a typical 40-hour-a-week opportunity; the position consists of variable and irregular work hours with irregularly scheduled days off. Train service employees work weekends and holidays on an “on call” basis, 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
TRAIN OPERATION AND MOVEMENT
Get on and off stationary equipment; couple and uncouple air hose and electrical connections between cars; ride on moving cars by holding onto grab irons and standing on ladder steps; assist in moving replacement knuckle to location of broken knuckle; assist in removal and replacement of broken knuckle; assist in aligning of drawbars by using available equipment to lift, pull or push on the drawbar.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Workforce diversity is an essential part of the Belt Railway’s commitment to quality and to the future. We encourage you to apply, whatever your race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or veteran status.